Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. It is getting cold these day. We really are heading to deep winter now. As usual, I rely on soups and stews to keep warm. Kimchi Jigae is one of my all time favourite winter soup. It is very quick and easy to make too, maximum 15 minutes!
This recipe is a simplified version of the original Korean dish. Several original ingredients are substituted to suit what can be found in local supermarkets in London. Also, this recipe is vegetarian/vegan version, so I use Tofu as the main protein source. For meat lovers, I would recommend you use pork belly as your main protein source.
Kimchi Jigae is delicious with a bowl of warm steamed rice, but it is equally amazing when served with noodles or pasta!
Ingredients (Serves 2 as main course)
- 250g Tofu, cubed
- 300g Chongga Mat Kimchi
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 2 Garlic, sliced
- 1.5 Litres of Water
- 1 Cube of Vegetables Stock
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Seseme Oil
- Heat up seseme oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, stir until slightly brown.
- Stir in the kimchi.
- Add the water and bring to boil.
- Dissolve the vegetables stock in the boiling water. Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tofu pieces and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with warm steamed rice!