Who else indulged way too much over Christmas and New Year holidays?
For 2019, I started the new year with some life changing events that prompted me to look after myself even better than ever before. Don’t get me wrong, I was already a healthy eater, and I exercised regularly, but every now and then, I let myself indulge a little. It was just this time, my body gave me a serious warning sign that the so-called “little indulgence” was not “little” for my body at all. If I expected to live a long healthy life, I must look after my digestive system better.
As part of the new me, I have been trying out new healthy snacks to curb my sugar cravings. My recent favourites while on business trip in Thailand were sun-dried fruits, especially bananas and strawberries. These have chewy texture and naturally juicy, unlike typical dried fruits found in London.
What I like about these sun-dried fruits were their versatility. There are endless ways of cooking with them, both sweet and savoury, not to mention that they are delicious on their own too.
Coming back to the UK, I found these sun-dried bananas in Sainsbury’s and Planet Organic in a form of “Bananito” bars. They come in three varieties:
- The Original – natural sun-dried banana
- Dark chocolate – natural sun-dried banana dipped in Belgian dark chocolate
- Dark chocolate with Almond crush – natural sun-dried banana dipped in Belgian dark chocolate and almond pieces
My favourite for snacking on the go is the plain natural sun-dried banana because the natural sweetness from the banana is already sweet enough on its own.
This morning, though, I spiced up a boring oat porridge with Bananito Dark Chocolate and some tropical fruits for a sumptuous and nutritious breakfast. The result? Well, it is pretty yummy!
Here is the recipe…
INGREDIENTS [Serves 1]
- 50g Porridge Oats
- 200ml Water
- 150ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Bananito solar-dried Banana dipped in Dark Chocolate & Almond Crush
- 1 Strawberry (washed and drained)
- 1 Tbsp of Mixed Berries (washed and drained)
- 1 Slice of Mango (washed and peeled)
- Spoon the oats into a small non-stick saucepan.
- Add 200ml of water, stir and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- On medium heat hob, cook and stir the oat mixture until soft.
- Add 150ml of coconut milk then stir over medium heat for 5 minutes until creamy and thickened.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl.
- Chop Bananito bar cross-way into 1cm wide pieces, or small cubes.
- Top the porridge with mango, strawberries, mixed berries and chopped Bananito.
Enjoy with a glass of smoothie for a healthy, nutritious breakfast!
For the Green Smoothie recipe, please see my previous post, here.
PHOTOGRAPHER: Julija Jevzikova