Mushroom Soup For A Busy Bee
“Soup is the food of the world. Every culture produces its own delicious variations on this universal theme.”
Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton once said on the subject of “Soup” and I could not agree more. For some reason, soup has a history as old as civilisation. There is something truely comforting about having soup when the weather is dropping towards freezing point, or when one is feeling poorly. On top of its long history of versatility, it is also so easy to make and one of the healthiest low cost meals in existence. So, it would not come as a surprise at all that soup is my favourite meal, right next to stews and salads!
In modern day living when one does not have much time to cook but enjoys cooking (such as myself), a delicious one pot meal is always a good idea, especially if it is quick to make. Tonight, I rummaged through the fridge and found some chesnut mushrooms, so I decided to make this very simple mushroom soup for dinner, which turned out rather well albeit the minimal effort, so I thought I would share this recipe with you.
There was no cream involved because I did not have any in the fridge, but if you like your mushroom soup smooth and creamy, then do not forget to add single cream at the end of the cooking, before blending of the ingredients. This should take only 30 minutes to prepare.
INGREDIENTS [Serves 2 as main course]
1 Stick of Celery
1 Pot of Beef or Vegetable Stock
1 Punnet of Chestnut Mushrooms
200ml Whole Milk
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Dice the onion, carrot and garlic.
- Chop celery and mushrooms into slices.
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and celery. Leave to cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add 300ml of water into vegetable mixture. Bring to boil then add the stock pot. Stir until the stock is completely dissolved.
- Add chestnut mushrooms and cook until they are soft.
- Turn off the heat and stir 200ml whole milk into the cooked mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a blender. Blend until all the mixtures is smooth.
…. Serves in a bowl with brown bread. Enjoy!