As the weather is getting colder, I have been craving more and more hearty comfort food to keep warm! My love for slow cooked dishes and stews runs deep, and you will definitely see more of these as winter is fast approaching. However, today, I am going to share with you a “slow cook” style dish that is actually very quick to make! This should take you only 30 minutes maximum for both the preparation and the actual cooking time… Aubergine and Tomato Cous Cous is my version of a Moroccan inspired dish… You will need:
INGREDIENTS [Serves 2 as Main Course]
500g Cous Cous
1 Pot of Vegetables Stock
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Red Onion
1 Red Pepper
1/2 Tbsp of Tomato Puree
1 Carton of Tomato Passata
2 Tbsp of Green Olives
2 Tbsp of Ground Almond
1 Block of Feta Cheese [optional]
Salt & Pepper
- Boil 300ml of water in a pot. Stir in half the stock pot until it dissolves then add the cous cous into the boiling stock. Cover the pot with a lid immediately and leave it off the heat until the stew is complete.
- Dice the onion, garlic cloves, aubergine and red pepper into small cubes.
- Slice the leek.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a medium size pot on medium heat. Cook the leek, onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add 200ml of water into the mixture. Bring to boil. Add the remaining half of the vegetable stock pot, then stir until dissolves.
- Add aubergine then cook until soft.
- Add the tomato puree and tomato passata.
- Add the pitted olives, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the ground almonds into the sauce.
- Serve the cous cous with the aubergine and tomato sauce into a bowl or a plate.
- Crumble feta cheese on top with your hands.
…. Enjoy with a glass of sparkling pomegranate juice!