This is my own version modified from the traditional Japanese Iri Dofu (or Tofu and Vegetable Scramble in English), which substitutes some original ingredients with locally sourced western ones. This dish is high in protein, inexpensive, delicious and can be made with any vegetables you have lying around in the fridge. For tonight, I am using curly kale and carrots.
Ingredients [Serves 2 as main course with steamed rice or 4 as a side dish]:
300g Silken tofu
1 Carrot cut into julienne strips
2 Handful of chopped curly kale
1 Tablespoon of seseme oil
100 ml of vegetable stock
1 onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Freshly grounded black pepper
- Saute the tofu, carrot and onion in seseme oil over medium heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, blend the ingredients together.
- Add curly kales and continue to cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Stir in the beaten eggs then stir until the mixture has the consistency of a moist scrambled eggs.
- Add black pepper to taste.
… Serves with steamed rice…